On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, tarvid wrote:

> The problem with localhost as a hostname

Exactly, go vote for bugs like this in bugzilla (they are there).

> install. The hostname and domainname are lost after reboot and you have to
> configure them.
>
> Usually you will add or modify dns servers postinstall and resolv.conf will
> change.
>
> Then you will get:
>
> Mar 11 11:33:01 localhost postfix/postfix-script: warning:
> /var/spool/postfix/etc/resolv.con
> f and /etc/resolv.conf differ
>
> Mar 11 11:08:32 localhost postfix/postfix-script: warning:
> /var/spool/postfix/etc/hosts and
> /etc/hosts differ
>
> I took careful contemporaneous notes this time since I have several more to
> do.
>
> And if you don't want postfix listening on eth0 why not cripple httpd and let
> it only listen on localhost too. Lets do courier and imap and dns while we
> are at it.

Because stmp can be very useful in local-only mode, whereas apache, imap,
dns, samba, sshd etc are usually only useful from other client machines.

> The localhost issue is a Mandrake issue, not a postfix issue.

Exactly (actually, specific to Mandrake 9.1 betas/rcs/cooker). See bugs
filed on installation and drakxtools.

Buchan