On Friday 14 March 2003 03:47 am, Gollum wrote:
> Oden Eriksson wrote:
> > Well..., back to using 9.0 and my cooker formatted ext3 home partition
> > could not be fsck:ed because of some new unrecognised ext3 parameters.
> > [...]
>
> I've seen the same with 9.1RC2.  In order to boot Mandrake 8.2, I had to
> disable the ext3 partition (/boot).  The other 9.1RC2 partitions were
> ReiserFS and behaved OK.  However, I could mount and access the partition
> manually in 8.2; the problem is during boot.
>
> Installing RC2 also caused Windows on my second hard drive, where I also
> keep all the Linux partitions, to show the Linux partitions in the file
> manager, messing up the drive numbering.

Yes things like this can happen. It's one of the drawbacks to compiling for
i586. The hardware is pushed to it's limits to get the extra speed. This also
means that there is not as much fault tolerance.

I have not experienced these problems and I currently have repartitioned one
xp drive and whacked it in half to put linux on it. I also have upgraded my
main box to 9.1/cooker and with that  I changed allot of my pertitions from
xfs and riser to ext3. I prefer xfs but it's hard to boot with the system
restore cd if it does not support xfs and fix the problems. On at least these
two systems I have seen these things to work just fine.

On the other hand the thing that gets me is cdrom/dvdrom I've seen quite a few
times these devices when they are going bad. Durring install they well get
all kinds of lost interupt errors on screen 4 you will be able to easily see
this. The ide bus will reset itself but then it just goes back to lost
interupt errors. This will continue until you 1) eject the cdrom from the cd
drive or two stop the install by rebooting the system. If you do 1 above you
may be able to continue the install but the cdrom may go back to lost
interupts so it's not a for sure. This activity will always occur during
package instelation. In every case this has happened replacing the defective
drive has solved the issues.

In the two cases above you may want to check your motherboard and see if the
capacitors on your motherboard have corrosion and or seepage. If they have
either then your motherboard is at fault. I have seen these issues with abit,
shuttle, soyo, and msi motherboards. I have heard rumors that there was at
least one epox motherboard affected by this also. All these motherboards are
older models from 1 - 2 years ago. With the newer ones the issues have been
fixed.

One other thing this is not a for sure but will cause hard drive corruption.
Check your ram or try to remember. If it was inexpensive ram from even a
company like pny that may be your problem. There are a few manufactures that
always put out high quality ram and can be trusted. Crucial, and samsung seem
to be the only ones that consistently put out ram that meats the specs it is
listed at and anymore they are not that much more than the other cheap stuff.

--
                                      Brook Humphrey