On Saturday 15 March 2003 18:36, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Friday 14 March 2003 03:56 am, Francisco Alcaraz Ariza wrote:
> > 1) I don't think that American people that would buy Mandrake won't buy
> > it now, because all the American not Windows user were antipatriotic
> > before. If you are a good American, you must use windows, musn't you?

This was basically my point, but I've been thinking about it. Many idiots of
that type _do_ buy linux. In fact, I've been in the position of advocating
linux to corporate management, and I don't know how I forgot this....

So, Jean-Michel Dault's original posting is relevant; people in the position
of trying to sell Mandrake to management need to find answers to, "Let's go
with Redhat, because it's made in the good ol' US of A."

On another subject:

> No. It's a risk to national security.
>
>     http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,5264,00.asp

>From the article, Microsoft plans to withhold one protocol and a few APIs
because of security issues, and:

> The protocol, which is part of Message Queuing, contains a coding mistake
> that would threaten the security of enterprise systems using it if it were
> disclosed, Allchin said.

This was almost a year ago; more than enough time for some cracker to reverse
engineer the protocol, discover the vulnerability, write an exploit kit, and
distribute it to millions of codezkidz. So either the exploit wasn't easily
usable, or, in this case, obscurity bought Microsoft just enough time to get
a fix out before the vulnerability was found. Either way, they got away with
it this time; I don't think this proves that using Windows is unpatriotic.

Also, pushing the argument that the US government shouldn't be using any OS
that could have security issues would be a bad idea for linux. IIRC, the
government commissioned a thorough security audit of OpenBSD, and a large
share of the funding for OpenBSD's security R&D comes from DARPA, USAF, and
NSA--so if they're going to go with a different OS because of security
issues, it's not going to be Mandrake.