On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Michael Scherer wrote:

> Well, just create the options, and, a lot of volontary beta tester will give
> us report :-)

I don't think this is a good way to test ... some obscure software no-one
on cooker uses could have a fatal flaw triggered by optimisations.

> I think that mandrake use conservative compilation options because they don't
> have time to lose in debugging the problem.

Not in all cases. Gwenole has done quite a bit of fixing things like
OpenOffice.org which have weird issues when over-optimised. See the
changelogs if you really want to know..

> And they are right. But, if we
> explain to people they can recompile their own program, they will see which
> can be used, and which cannot. We can even set a website for people
> exchanging their "best" tricks, and so, get back the information.

Sure, if people test packages with more aggressive options, and can ensure
that every feature still works ... it could be considered.

Buchan