On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 07:26:33 -0800 (PST), villin wrote:

> Strange i have had no problem to use them. The old driver was running.
> No need to remove it.
> Just switch to runlevel 3 and  launch the script.
> Say that i want to compile and voila. And a few seconds later everything
> was ok (Geforce 4 Ti 4200).
> No need to reboot.  Just had to change the rights on /dev/nvdia0 and
> /dev/nvidiactl for my user for playing neverwinter night on Linux.
> It seems to be faster and looks better. Maybe it was only my eyes that
> were tired yesterday ;-)
> For me it is easier to install than before. Newbie will appreciate.
> Olivier.
>
> Edward Tandi wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 01:19, Francisco Alcaraz wrote:
> >

> >>I have had a lot of problem with this new release. One of the times I lost
> the
> >>3d; the second try I get a switched off screen.
> >>
> >>At the moment I have returned to textar Nvidia rpms.
> >>
> >>Could anyone be so kind as to explain all the step to have it runing under
> >>9.1?
> >>

> >OK, maybe you have the same problem I had when trying to install over
> >the old driver. You have to run the tool at runlevel 3 ('init 3' text
> >mode). You also have to unload the driver with 'rmmod nvidia', but I get
> >the following error:
> >

> >>WARNING: insmod.old: I am not the old version!
> >>Can't open 'nvidia': No such file or directory
> >>

> >So the only way to forcibly remove the module is to delete nvidia.o from
> >/lib/modules/... with rm.
> >
> >Then re-boot. Mandrake will fail to start up X. Then login as root on
> >the console and run the tool. It should then install everything OK.
> >Re-boot again (or restart gdm/kdm), and it should start X this time. My
> >machine has been running fine with this new version.
> >
> >You will also need gcc and the kernel source installed if you are using
> >a custom kernel.
> >
> >Ed-T.
> >

> >>Thansk so much in advance

Just a note from something I noticed on my system.

The message:

WARNING: insmod.old: I am not the old version!
Can't open 'nvidia': No such file or directory

Means you have installed the module tools for 2.5 kernel compatibility twice.
Normally, if the kernel is a 2.4.X kernel, the tool calls the old (2.4.X) tool
to do the operation.  You probably need to uninstall the 2.5 tools, force an
install/update of the 2.4 module tools, and then install 2.5 tools a single
time.

Paul Misner