On Saturday 05 April 2003 15:29, J.A. Magallon wrote:
> it looks like Mozilla application is dead. Now we will have a
> Mozilla-suite, split in several apps:

No no no, the whole point is to get _away from_ the "Mozilla-suite" idea, not
to move toward it! There will still be something that you can download as an
application suite if you want, but it'll be a collection of separate,
decoupled applications and extensions that can just as easily be used
independently.

> - Mozilla browser is dead. They will switch to Phoenix (or whatever is it
>   named after the copyrights war the seem to be inside...)

The existing default Mozilla browser (Seamonkey, aka /usr/bin/mozilla) is not
dead. At the end of November, when the stable 1.6 release is due, it will be
dead; until then, it's not. Phoenix, meanwhile, is still not done.

You can, of course, just download Phoenix right now and use it
alongside/instead of Mozilla. But you're probably better off using Galeon or
Konqueror.

> - Mozilla mailer is dead. Use Minotaur. A beta build is available.

Minotaur is not ready yet. Use Mozilla mailer. A beta Minotaur build is
nowhere near ready.

An experimental build of Minotaur is available. To quote the download page,
"Please not that Minotaur is currently not even alpha quality software."
Meanwhile, the existing mailer is getting upgrades for 1.4, and possibly for
1.5. You may want to play with Minotaur (to help development, or just to get
an idea of what changes are in store for the future), but you definitely
don't want to use it as your mail agent.

You're probably better off with Kmail or Evolution or any of the thousand
other mail agents out there.

> - All they will build against GRE.

Mozilla, Phoenix, Minotaur, and many other apps already build against Gecko.

> - And java now is gcc-3 safe...

Which is relevant how?

> Do you see feasible to (;)):
> - include GRE in cooker

Meaning the Gecko engine? It's already in cooker--and 9.1 and 9.0--as part of
the mozilla package.

If you mean splitting mozilla into, e.g., mozilla, libgecko, and
libgecko-devel, that's not a bad idea, but it's a lot of work--work that will
have to be redone for 1.4 and 1.5 and possibly the minor upgrades along the
way before being thrown out for 1.6. It's probably not worth it.

If you instead mean that some to-be-determined future version of Gecko with
its interfaces refactored in some to-be-determined future way should be
included in cooker--well, it's pretty hard to include something that doesn't
exist.

> - build phoenix against it (gcc3)

What else could you build Phoenix against besides Gecko?

If you want a Phoenix package for Mandrake, there are a lot of issues to
consider. Phoenix hasn't been designed for system-wide installation; it works
much better if you just unpack the tarball into your home directory and run
it from there.

Since Phoenix relies so much on letting users updating its chrome directory
(to install extensions or themes, for example), a shared installation pretty
much means that only root can configure it. Hopefully some future version
will pop up a su wrapper to let anyone install a new extension, separate out
installing the extension from enabling it, etc.

Anyone who can't handle installing Phoenix without an RPM probably won't get
much use out of it yet.

> - build galeon against it (and so, nautilus...)

Again, what would Galeon be built against besides Gecko? Why do you think the
galeon package requires the mozilla package?

> - include some other projects as epiphany ;)

Epiphany is yet another Gtk-native browser wrapped around Gecko, like Galeon
and Skipstone, but with tighter GNOME integration (it's sort of the exact
opposite of the everything-is-cross-platform Phoenix). It's nowhere near
complete, and I suspect that anyone who can't install it from source won't
have much reason to play with it yet.

> I know it is a very very big deal, but you could take it as your
> 'web-browsing-in-mandrake roadmap'...

Considering that Mandrake's default desktop is KDE and their default browser
is Konqueror, I suspect that they won't go for any roadmap that focuses on
Galeon and Epiphany....

Obviously, Mandrake will have to take the future of Mozilla into account, but
they can do that just by tracking future versions of Mozilla, Galeon, and
other projects, just as they've done all along.