Austin wrote:

On 2003.05.30 12:58, James Sparenberg wrote:

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 08:49, Levi Ramsey wrote:
> Yes.  "medium" is the singular and "media" is the plural (much like
> "maxmimum"/"maxima" and so forth).

Well for anyone who cares, I looked it up.

Canadian English
----------------
according to the Gage Canadian Dictionary, the Oxford Guide to Canadian English Usage, and the Penguin Canadian Dictionary (how appropriate):

the plural of 'medium' is 'mediums' when referring to a person, and 'media'
when referring to communication, a method, or an environment
'a media' is listed as a common but incorrect usage
'medias' is NOT a word

Canadian French
according to the Canadian Dictionary, and Dictionnaire Générale de la Langue Française au Canada:

the plural of 'médium' is 'médiums'
'des média' and 'un média' are listed as anglicismes
again, 'médias' is not a word

strangely enough, the Canadian Dicitonary does not list 'médium' as the French translation of 'medium', rather it suggests using 'moyen' or 'milieu'

I'm sure you were all very excited to know that.

Austin

My dictionary lists plural of medium as mediums when talking about spiritual mediums and media when talking about things such as radio and TV.