Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Hey folks (and Guillaume),
>
> I was looking at guessmounts in the rescue system and noticed a possible
> enhancement: LVM support.

I actually mentioned this in another thread, we bumped into this 2 days
ago ...

> I build my machines with root (as well as everything else but /boot) on
> LVM.

We had /root also not on LVM, so we could mount / , but /usr wasn't
available (on lvm).

>  It would be nice if guessmounts could figure this out.  Ideally, it
> could look at the "type" of the partitions on the disk(s) and set up LVM
> if it finds an LVM "typed" partition.  But even if guessmounts just "fell
> back" to trying to use LVM if it fails to find a root partition without
> LVM would suffice.

Since DrakX finds LVM ok in upgrades, I think the support just needs to
be added to the rescue image.

> When I boot an LVM based system with the rescue, I can run the following
> at the command prompt to get my LVM root (and other filesystems) mounted,
> so it should not be too difficult to put this into guessmounts:
>
> # modprobe lvm-mod
> # mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
> # /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/vgscan
> # /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/vgchange -a y

Ahhh, that's where vgscan is! Maybe we could have
/mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/ in the path in rescue? I was lucky
we had / not lvm, otherwise I wouldn't have found a vgscan (it wasn't in
the rescue image).

> # mount /dev/rootvol/root /mnt/disk
> # mount /dev/rootvol/usr /mnt/disk/usr
>
> Thots?

LVM support in rescue would be cool ....

Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.