Jason Straight wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 June 2003 11:38 am, Buchan Milne wrote:
>
> Has nothing to do with DHCP, I don't use dhcp-client for servers,
these are
> machines with static settings and some with special routes that get added
> with ip route, and proxy arp gets turned on. That stuff doesn't get
restarted
> by ifplugd when it decides to restart my ethernet devs.

Well, it should ... AFAIK ifplugd should use ifup <interface>, so if
your static routes are set in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/<interface>.route, they should be added
for you. Proxyarp and anything else should be done via
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/if{up,down}.d/*

If you had configured it some way, you had an accident waiting to happen
 without ifplugd.

>>>or something don't make it a default install.
>>
>>So what about laptop users? Must they know about contrib before they can
>> get a semi-functional network setup?
>

> How does not having ifplug make may laptop not work? I've been running
> mandrake on my laptop for years without ifplug without a problem.

So, if we start rolling out Mandrake laptops to users (we have one which
we are trialling at present), since the machines are shared, we don't
give anyone root (we could set up sudo to allow the users to restart the
network, but is this really convenient?), we have to be able to have
them network the machine without a RHCE. On the windows machines, they
can plug in a cross-over cable to their buddy from the company we are
working with, and copy files. How are they going to figure out they need
to restart the network to do this?

That's what ifplugd is for.

> I mostly
> use wireless though and hardly ever boot up with a working eth0 so I
didn't
> notice this behaviour of ifplugd before.

Wireless is still too expensive in this country, so I haven't had a
chance to play much ...

Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.