> On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 17:38, Buchan Milne wrote:

> on this? I coincidentally had a problem with ifplugd too, today. After
> restarting my firewall machine, the eth0 interface (which is connected
> to the ADSL modem)  came up without problems, but the eth1 (connected to
> the internal network)  came 'up' without any ip address assigned.

This is the expected behaviour if a machine is configured for dhcp, and no
dhcp server is available, except that normally you would have waited a few
minutes at boot time for eth1 to try and get an IP.

> The only way to get things back to normal was killing the ifplugd
> process  for eth1, and using ifconfig to manually configure it. (I
> couldn't  do this until the ifplufd was stopped)

Alternatively, you could complete your configuration for a static IP, and do:

# ifdown eth1;ifup eht1

I am not sure why ifplugd would not allow you to manually configure with
ifconfig, was there a dhclient request running for eth1 at the time you
had problems?

> I think this problem started when I tried messing around with setting up
>  a DHCP daemon on that machine (read: I know it's my own fault), but I
> disabled the dhcp a while ago, and it
> was not running when the problem occured today. (or: But I don't know
> what I did wrong)

If you are not sure where the problem came in, post again, but it would
help to include more detail of your setup, such as your
/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth* files.

Regards,
Buchan