Yup. It is very very very important to create a rescue disk!! That way
if you mess up the partition and it no longer sees grub or LILO.... you
can boot with it, type lilo at the bash prompt and you are done. That
easy. Without the disk you have to go to a lot of trouble and know what
you are doing to get back into it.