On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 06:44, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
> "MEISCH,CORY (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Without getting too many feathers ruffled, it does seem to me that
> > enhancement requests seem to fall on deaf ears.
> >
> > I have tried other distros and Mandrake is the best, so I'm willing to give
> > my time, talent, and opinion on the matter. The solution is never "go find
> > another distribution".
> >
> > The idea of showing what is already installed or can be installed/upgraded
> > would be very nice, ala SuSE Yast.
>
> Again, I want to state that I do agree that for advanced users, I
> do understand "old" rpmdrake is better.
>
> And, please remember, "first" rpmdrake, written in Perl by pixel,
> was much more simple than "old" rpmdrake.
>
> I think "old" rpmdrake was like that, because it was designed
> with advanced users in mind, and it followed (nice) solutions
> from advanced/cooker/etc users.
>
> "New" rpmdrake was designed following our belief (motivated by
> several user experiences and us trying to think hard what
> beginners would experience) that "old" rpmdrake was "frightening"
> and beginners had a hard time understanding the GUI at first
> sight. We decided that each tool needs to stay simple, do one
> thing and do it well, to be suitable for beginners. We also
> decided that DrakX approach was better (show dependencies when
> selecting package, not after "install" button is clicked).
>
> I think current rpmdrake is good for beginners, old one was too
> complicated for beginners. I understand this is frustrating for
> many advanced users, though a part of the rationale is also that
> most advanced users will tend to prefer urpmi.

I appreciate you taking the time to elaborate on these points, these
last three paragraphs have done much to confirm what I already had
gleaned from other indirect sources, which is important, since this
verifies from the source.  Or I should say, an authoritative source.  I
also appreciate the time you have taken in this thread to speak to these
problems.  I understand that every moment that you spend writing to the
list are moments that you are either not developing or devoting to
personal time.  I have been one of those that has preached on your
behalf in the past (i.e., on behalf of all employed developers), believe
it or not.

It is pretty well perceived by the general population, from what I see,
that rpmdrake was redesigned for beginners.  The fact that the decision
had a rationale or the fact that the decision was acted on are not facts
that are in dispute.  The dispute comes in with the total disconnect
that existed between the users (paying or nonpaying) and a decision that
directly involved them all.  A user interface is by it's very nature a
public interface, a means by which the public at large has a window into
the operating system.  Therefore by that definition it should be the
public at large that has the *most relevant* input and decision making
powers concerning the user interfaces.  Mandrakesoft, to it's credit,
has put a smorgasbord of methods by which users can voice their
preferences.

Mandrakesoft, to it's discredit, has failed in this case to exploit
those resources which it itself has put into place, which are as
follows:  Expert mailing list....newbie mailing list....Mandrakeclub
opinion surveys....and the Mandrakeclub rpm voting polls.  I purposely
exclude the cooker mailing list because it is the sole *public* resource
that was used by Mandrakesoft in this case.  The greater discredit in
this is that the cooker mailing list was the one resource that beginners
or new users were most likely *not* to be using as a feedback tool.
Which may or may not have been part of the flawed strategy utilized in
order to replace the "beginner" rpmdrake UI with the "old" standard
rpmdrake.

Since you took your personal time to reiterate your history from your
cooker standpoint I felt it only fair and necessary that I reiterate the
history from the standpoint of everyone else who is not directly
involved day to day in cooker.  So I will take some time out of my day
to do this.

When the "beginner" rpmdrake was introduced, there had been no opinion
polls heralding it's existence to the general population.  There had
been no activity or screenshots or sketches of possible UI
configurations listed on the mandrakeclub anywhere.  There was no
knowledge among any of the Mandrake kin (non cooker) that anything new
was coming; and therefore there was no chance in hell itself that any
decisions concerning it would involve the public.  If I went to newbie,
expert, or Mandrakeclub forums right now and asked any of them had
participated in a beginner research program to create a "beginner"
rpmdrake to replace the old, or even if any of them had been asked
whether they actually even wanted a replacement or not, exactly how many
people do you think would respond in the affirmative?

The target audience for rpmdrake is beginners.  Yet beginners don't use
cooker.  Yet Mandrakesoft polls, mailing lists, and surveys exist for
the purpose of hearing from beginners and users.  Yet those resources
were completely unused prior to the rollout of beginner rpmdrake. The
impression is that that had to be on purpose.

Rewind to 9.0 development cycle.  There was an immediate backlash to the
rollout of the beginner rpmdrake replacement.  Should we have been
surprised?  You might say, "Well, they are going to bitch no matter what
changes were made, so we lose either way".  My answer is that no body
can truly bitch about a voted decision because that is the maximum
position of strength.  And if they do, then they are still wrong and the
commonsense majority will recognize the wrongness.  But that's naturally
not what we have here.  So the users used the only outlet that they had
for their frustrations at the time of 9.0, which were the rpm voting
polls.  The power of public opinion was vast as the "standard" rpmdrake
poll rocketed to the top of the total poll list, which is prioritized in
order of votes cast.  There were only perhaps four polls above it.
Actions taken?  Responses? None.

Fast forward to 9.1 development cycle.  This is when I myself started
paying attention, since I had begun distributing cooker cd's, and I also
had bravely and somewhat foolishly moved my production rig to 9.1 cooker
in a blind act of faith.  Beginner rpmdrake hit me like a ton of
bricks.  Other disgruntled users (not me) again implemented a "standard"
rpmdrake UI poll on Mandrakeclub rpm poll section, and again it's
popularity was phenomenal.  Once more it rocketed to the first priority
page number one, completely unopposed, page one being  one out of about
17 or 18 pages at the time, if memory serves.  Again there were only a
bare handful of polls above it.  Actions taken?  None. Responses? None.
Explanations to the general public as to what was going on? None.
Basically confusion reigned supreme.  It is true as Buchan pointed out
that a handful of more knowledgable Club members went to Cooker and
complained, but their voices went basically unacted upon regarding the
real differences between beginner and standard rpmdrake.

Fast forward to about a month before Deno decided to leave
Mandrakesoft.  The 9.0 and 9.1 "standard" rpmdrake polls were shut down
and thus rendered invisible to the general public, stifling further
forum conversation within those polls.  Again there was no explanation
given other than an answer I posed to the Club about the problem.  I was
basically told that we needed to migrate because the beginner rpmdrake
was "better".

So, that's it.  You might continue to say that yes, users do have
input.  Perhaps that is true to a very limited degree, but it's barely
just true enough to be able to make that statement.  At least in the
case of rpmdrake.  The questions in my mind remain:  If the user
interface's cosmetics and design are for the users at large then why
arent users at large questioned and polled regarding the user
interface's cosmetics and design.  If the Club money is supposed to give
your vote a priority over other users and a voice in the Club regarding
development then why is it that your Club money does not give your vote
a priority over other users and a voice in the Club regarding
development.

Some might say, yes it does.  I say, not when it really counts.

More pointedly: If the mechanisms for public feedback and opinion are in
place and operational as they are, then why is it that those mechanisms
for public feedback and opinion are abused with disuse during the most
critical changes in the Mandrake distribution evolution, i.e. the most
critical changes in the most *key* components of the Mandrake
distribution.

--LX

--
Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk       Linux Mandrake 9.1