On Sun 22 Jun 2003 02:42, Leon Brooks posted as excerpted below:
> We also have friends who have 11 children, one of whom is named Jonathan
> and another one John. Causes endless confusion when Aussies typically
> abberviate Jonathan to Jon.

I-yeeeee!  My first name is John, but I have chosen to go by my family name,
Duncan, because as I put it, there's always to many Johns around -- UNLESS
you need one!  <g>  Duncan is a bit less common.

However, I can't IMAGINE, having a brother by that close to the same name, as
well, or rather, I CAN, but I don't find the idea at all to my liking!  <g>
I've even worked in situations where there was a Don or a Donna and we were
always either failing to answer someone, or answering when it was for the
other, because all you hear in many cases is the jON, or dONa.  It was about
then, college age for me, when surnames are often used unmodified, that I
started using Duncan.  It took about three years, but I pretty much quit
responding to John, as I never used it and therefore always assumed they were
talking to someone else.  That was meat-space, but I still used John Duncan
in iSpace.  Some years later, there was another one in one of the newsgroups
I was a regular in, and I decided to use the same simply "Duncan" in iSpace
as well.  I've been using it for some years now, and naturally use it here as
well.  Altho I know it is by no means a unique identifier in the global
namespace, I've never run into another individual going by that handle
operating within the same sphere of influence, either in iSpace or in
meat-space, tho one of my work customer's kids is goes by Duncan as his first
name, and I remain comfortable with the handle.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin