On Mon 23 Jun 2003 08:55, Gary Walsh posted as excerpted below:
> It has been a long time since I have been able to use urpmi
> --auto-select to upgrade my cooker system.  Everytime I try to use it,
> it wants to uninstall a lot of packages due to unfulfilled dependencies.
>   Even using rpmdrake and selecting a few packages at a time is an
> exercise in trial an error.  This morning, while using rpmdrake, urpmi
> wanted to uninstall rpmdrake due to something I selected (I don't know
> what).  How is it possible to keep a reasonably up to date cooker
> install if so many important packages must be uninstalled?

Due to the upgrade to RPM 4.2, and some dependency management corrections, a
totally smooth upgrade is not so possible right now.  It can be done, by
forcing some things, if necessary.  AFAIK, you will need to force perl
itself, for instance, as it will otherwise think it has to uninstall all the
modules and other dependencies, but once it is forced, the others upgrade
smoothly.  There was a similar problem with RPMDrake, but I generally use
urpmi anyway and just let it uninstall and haven't reinstalled it, and
haven't seen whether the problem was fully resolved or not, on the list.  I
think you can force it or let it uninstall and then reinstall.  There are a
couple other such cases as well.  It's mainly the growing pains of coping
with a new RPM, with its bugs, and at the same time doing some one-time
dependency changes that will automate requires that USED to have to be
entered manually.  IOW, the system isn't entirely stable for upgrade right
now, but that's to be expected in the middle of the development cycle, so
it's not a big deal.  It'll be in-the-main anyway worked out by release
candidate time, and should be pretty well worked out by 9.2 gold release.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin