Ok, so after spending all day upgrading many packages one at a time, I have narrowed down the problem to two main package groups, gcc and python. If I try to upgrade gcc and related packages, urpmi wants to uninstall OpenOffice.org. If I try to upgrade python, urpmi wants to uninstall mozilla, gimp, galeon and other packages, as well as OpenOffice. A lot of packages are dependent on python, especially kde packages. Needless to say, I don't want OpenOffice and Mozilla uninstalled as these are packages that I use all of the time.

Also, I have a major problem after my marathon upgrading: Mozilla-Mail can no longer create a compose window. Mozilla is the only mua that I use. This occurs with both the version of Mozilla from cooker, and the latest 1.4 daily which I have installed separately. No difference under Gnome or KDE. It seems that some other package that I upgraded is causing the problem, since I have been using the version of Mozilla on cooker since the middle of May. I am typing this message on my laptop which has an mostly stock 9.1 on it.