Hi Till,

You made my day!
I can print .pdf files from the
command line both using lp and lpr.
It was too simple for me to figure it out on my own :-(

I managed to capture some output of kghostview (which
does not work, as described earlier) by running it from
the command line (I only copied the output starting with kprint:)

kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0xbfffec14, number of objects = 1
kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0x81f50f4, number of objects = 2
kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0x81e4440, number of objects = 3
kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0x81e4478, number of objects = 4
kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0x820437c, number of objects = 5
kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0x820b848, number of objects = 6
kdeprint: Checking for update possible
kdeprint: Starting async connect
kdeprint: Connection success, trying to send a request...
kdeprint: kdeprint: unregistering 0x81f50f4, number of objects = 5
kdeprint: kdeprint: unregistering 0x820b848, number of objects = 4
kdeprint: kdeprint: unregistering 0x820437c, number of objects = 3
kdeprint: ********************
kdeprint: PrintoutMode = High
kdeprint: _kde-filters =
kdeprint: copies = 1
kdeprint: kde-collate = Collate
kdeprint: kde-copies = 1
kdeprint: kde-current = 1
kdeprint: kde-currentpage = 1
kdeprint: kde-isspecial = 0
kdeprint: kde-maxpage = 38
kdeprint: kde-minpage = 1
kdeprint: kde-orientation = Portrait
kdeprint: kde-outputtofile = 0
kdeprint: kde-pageorder = Forward
kdeprint: kde-pageset = 0
kdeprint: kde-pagesize = 0
kdeprint: kde-preview = 0
kdeprint: kde-printcommand =
kdeprint: kde-range =
kdeprint: kde-special-command =
kdeprint: number-up = 2
kdeprint: orientation-requested = 3
kdeprint: kdeprint: status message: Sending print data to printer: HP_parallel
kdeprint: kdeprint: print command: cupsdoprint -P 'HP_parallel' -J '' -H
'localhost:631' -U 'john' -o ' PrintoutMode=High copies=1 number-up=2
orientation-requested=3' '/tmp/kde-john/kghostviewM9PkTb.ps'
kdeprint: kdeprint: status message:
kdeprint: kdeprint: unregistering 0xbfffec14, number of objects = 2

Hope this is of some use...

As to your questions:
Using the print function of kpdf does not work (As described earlier)
Using the print function of gs (print command: lpr) also does not work.
I did not try to install acrobat reader under wine so I cannot comment
on that.

Thx a bundle, because now my wife can keep using Linux instead of XP :-)

But can you shed any light on what is going on?
If necessary I will start bugging the kde developers!

Thx

John