Anyone else have problems with so naming in rpms?

I have two packages now that if I configure with:
./configure
I get the right filenames: libname.so libname.so.0 libname.so.0.0.0

But rpm uses:
./configure i586-mandrake-linux-gnu
and the filenames become: libname libname.0 libname.0.0.0

I can replicate that by using the latter configure line manually.
Is there something wrong with our libtool? The authors of both packages (openbabel and gtkglext) seem to think so.

Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant