On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Olivier Blin wrote:

> > This is (most likely) a devfs bug, it was fixed by a patch by Andrey. If
> > you have this hang often, please test attached patch (for some people it
> > never occurs, for others only rarely)
>
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the help.
> I applied this patch to the kernel source (it was a pain to download the package
> with my 56k ...) and rebuilded the package, but depmod still hangs at boot.
> Are you sure this patch can be applied to the current kernel source ? It was written
> for Mandrake 9.1 kernel ...
thanks for trying!

Well, if you did it correctly it should work.
And it is only a one-liner in code that didn't change since last release
AFAIK.

If it really does not work, I am guilty of yelling at everbody (although
other people have reported success with this patch).

Anyway, can you produce a stack trace?
alt-sysrq-T at the hang?
please run it through ksymoops if needed.

d.