On Tuesday 15 July 2003 12:02, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
> I suppose -- people /still/ use Windows?  Amazing ;)

I'm sure Buchan will explain why samba is going to be necessary for Windows to
finally die--but even after that happens, samba may well survive. SMB/CIFS,
when done right, is a good filesharing system. The only real problem with it
is that all of Microsoft's implementations so far stink--but samba 3 does not
stink.

Samba is not only useful for transitioning LANs from Windows to linux, it's
also useful for all kinds of multi-platform LANs. I can't think of another
filesharing system that runs on so many *nix platforms that doesn't block in
the kernel on network reads, handles user-level shares easily (with nice
GUIs, even), allows hierarchical networks, can use LDAP or various other
techniques for authentication, etc. And that works on every version of
Windows, and Mac OS X, and (with cheap add-on software) MacOS 9.