Thanks for your advice, although I have some more questions :)

#>   Is this a bug?
#No.

If not a bug - what is it? Should the combination of actions
which I took not lead to installation of a "custom" rpm?
This implies there are 'special' packages, or Mandrake-packages, in
which case at least I would favor a notification upon clicking on
such a "foreign" package. For example, it would be helpful if
Mandrake tells me "Warning: Non-Mandrake package. Install
manually with urpmi" when I click on my 'abc.rpm'.

#I'd try asking on a support list, not a developer's list.
Sorry, but I thought it was a bug :)

/Olof