On Thursday 17 July 2003 11:59, Olof Bjarnason wrote:
> Thanks for your advice, although I have some more questions :)
>
> #>   Is this a bug?
> #No.
>
> If not a bug - what is it? Should the combination of actions
> which I took not lead to installation of a "custom" rpm?
> This implies there are 'special' packages, or Mandrake-packages, in
> which case at least I would favor a notification upon clicking on
> such a "foreign" package. For example, it would be helpful if
> Mandrake tells me "Warning: Non-Mandrake package. Install
> manually with urpmi" when I click on my 'abc.rpm'.

The urpmi tools are not about packages, but about urpm sources, which are
repositories of packages.

So, the short answer is: You must build a custom urpm source containing your
custom packages before you can use urpmi to install those packages. Just
copying the rpm's into a directory is not enough.

If you want to go through the experience of building your own source, there is
documentation for that, but it's not for beginners. If all you want to do is
get your custom packages installed, use rpm instead of urpm.

(You may also want to submit the packages to contribs, if you think others
might want them.)

What's the point of all of this? It's so that we can have standard sources for
upgrades and contributed packages which automatically keep track of
relationships. So when I try "urpmi foo" it'll automatically know that it has
to download and install bar (which foo requires) and uninstall baz (which foo
obsoletes) with no extra work on my part.