Andi Payn wrote:

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 13:13, Stefan van der Eijk wrote:

Andi Payn wrote:

Not saying it's as easy as it ideally should be, just that it's usually
much easier than getting stuff into Redhat. (Which is why freshrpms and
similar collections exist.)

actually, we should try to get some agreement on packaging standards
with RedHat, or at least, with their contributors, so that at least
these "contrib" archives can be merged...

or am I being the idealist again?

I agree with you, but yes, you probably are. In fact, I think we had essentially this same discussion around the time of the 9.1 beta, and most people thought we were being too idealistic.

What you're looking for is a system to ensure that, without access to both both Redhat and Mandrake boxes, a contributor can create a package that will build on either (I don't think it's necessary that, having been built on one, it will install on the other). Right?

Just having src.rpm compatibility would be nice to start with. I don't beleive in binary compat anymore :-/

the .spec might be littered with defines, but hey, get more done in less time for a larger audience...

defining these standards is going to be "dikke stront" though...

I've thought about this before, and I can write up a concrete proposal for the tools and policies needed, if people other than Stefan are interested. If not, I won't waste my time and the list's bandwidth.

First, IMHO, we need to get our own packaing policies up2date with what they're doing. RPM howto is on the wiki --> hint!

Then we can discuss with others on how they do things, where the differences are and how things can be packaged so that it will build on both sides.

By the way, has anyone wondered whether Redhat has any interest in more cooperation with Mandrake? It's all well and good for Mandrake developers and contributors to look for ways to help Redhat be more like our favorite distro, but it's always possible they'd look at it more as hostile subversion than as altruism....

I really don't know...

It's on my todo list to join the RH community thingy...

regards,

Stefan