On Saturday 26 July 2003 14:28, Götz Waschk wrote:
> > This may not the right moment to discuss about this, but I think we
> > should set up a naming policy for the rpm.
> >
> > To give a simple exemple, the python module.
> >
> > Some of them are named
> > foo-python, and the others are named python-bar.
> >
> > example adns-python, libxslt-python
> > vs python-xoltar, python-fam
> >
> > i suggest to stick to python-bar form, in the same way that perl
> > modules are named.
>
> Hi,
>
> order is OK, but this is a bit overregulation. I think it's better to
> stick to the original name if possible. Else people won't find a
> software in the distribution they are looking for and compile it
> themselves.

I suggested to prefix the original names.

So, if a someone search, let's say, a python module named foo, a search
on foo should give him python-foo.
If not, this means that another software is already called foo, and so,
this means we couldn't stick to the original name.

> The package ordering through the rpm groups should be
> sufficient.

But, the ordering is only accessible with rpmdrake ( easily accesible ).

--

Michaël Scherer