I probably have to add signature - I do not receive Cooker. Cc to me
if you want me to respond.

> just a short and dumb question,
> how will be chosen the configuration method to use(2.4 or 2.6)

I do not understand the question. configuration method is drakmouse
or whatever. it does not depend on kernel. but it must emit something
suitable for both kernels.

> with oder words, what kind of problem should expect in case
> i'm running 2.4 with the input from 2.6
> in a not that common way: local XFree multi-user

you can't. if you running 2.4 you are running input from 2.4

> PS.
> about PS2 devices: are they going to be loaded even if not present
> (you mentioned modprobe.conf)

I mentioned modprobe.preload. Credits to maintainers who still not
updated mkinitrd and initscripts.

they are going to be loaded if they are configured to be loaded.
So far we do not have hotplugging for these devices so they are
going to be configured statically yes.

> about mice alocation: we have a very hackish input.agent which works
> but ... is really hackish and probably wont work both with std 2.4 > and 2.6 kernel.
> http://varna.demon.co.uk/~svetlio/aivils/mdk/input.agent

good, I'll get a look. I probably integrate it into devfsd though.
hotplug is not the right place to do it in presence of devfs. input
agent must load input handlers and it will do it this week with depmod
help.

your input agent actually does the same as udev. I am seriously
considering snathing namedev out of it as devfsd action handler.

anyway we have problem - user most likely installs and configures
mouse under 2.4 so 2.6 specific information (like DEVPATH) simply
is not available.

[...] the rest omitted due to inability to do proper quouting using
copy'n'paste from web archive.

-andrey