On Wednesday 30 July 2003 17:27, Pixel wrote:
> "Andrey Borzenkov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Pixel, are you back?
>
> yes!
>
> [...]
>
> > You do not have direct access to hardware anymore. What you can get
> > for mouse is either /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mouseN that is EMULATED
> > Microsoft Intellimouse for ANY mouse-like backed available or event
> > interface /dev/input/eventN.
>
> does this mean mouse configuration in XFree will always be:
>
>   Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier "Mouse1"
>       Driver "mouse"
>       Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>       Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>   EndSection
>
> when linux 2.4 compatibility is no more a pb?
> (or only choose Emulate3Buttons or not)

mmmm ... yes, looks like it.

> what about "ExplorerPS/2" protocol ?

mousedev emulates explorer as well up to 5 buttons.

> [...]
>
> > 3. mouse type is really hard. if we keep specific mouse type for gpm
> > and X11 for 2.4 we cannot use it in 2.6. Possible solutions are
>
> for X11, maybe we could configure both devices and rely on
> AllowMouseOpenFail to choose the right one?

I am concerned about having the same mouse events reported two times. Consider
/dev/input/mice and /dev/psaux - they both refer to the same device in 2.6

anyway that is what I use currently. It solves X11 compatibility problem; I
wont claim it to be final solution ...

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

/etc/sysconfig/mouse

{pts/1}% cat /etc/sysconfig/mouse
MOUSETYPE=imps2
XMOUSETYPE=IMPS/2
FULLNAME="PS/2|Generic PS2 Wheel Mouse"
XEMU3=no
WHEEL=no
device=psaux
REPEATERTYPE=raw

modified /etc/init.d/gpm is attached

this leaves only correct modules for specific mouse to be loaded somewhere; I
have it in

{pts/1}% cat /etc/modprobe.preload
# /etc/modprobe.preload: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.
# this file is for module-init-tools (kernel 2.5 and above) ONLY
# for old kernel use /etc/modules

scsi_hostadapter
i2c-i801
w83781d
psmouse

and I have hoplug input agent that loads correct frontend handlers
automatically (mousedev in this case)