>> > There is a strange things with your rpm database, at the very
>> beginning, libexpat0 is installed and in another transaction later,
>> fontconfig and libfontconfig1 installation fails due to
>> libexpat.so.0 not available which are provided by the previous
>> installation of libexpat0 normally...
>>
>> I can't deny to say that what you're seeing is strange, I also think
>> it's strange. What we're talking about is a chrooted install, but the
>> db seems fine to me:
>>
>> # chroot /chroot/cooker/
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /]# rpm -Va
>> S.5....T c /etc/bashrc
>> S.5....T c /etc/services
>> ..5....T c /etc/shells
>> ....L...   /lib/cpp
>> S.5....T c /etc/info-dir
>> .......T c /etc/syslog.conf
>> S.5....T c /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
>>
>> Any other way to check the health of the installation?
>
> Well after the problem occurred, check rpm -q --whatprovides
> libexpat.so.0 just to see ?

I can't really do that... slbd is running, installing packages into the
chroot, rebuilding the src.rpm and then de-installin the installed
packages.

To try it manually: create a chroot environment, with only basesystem +
rpm-build

and then urpmi the packages into the chroot with this command (${a} is the
package name):

sudo urpmi -q -p ${a} \
--auto \
--media ${MEDIA} \
--no-verify-rpm \
--root ${CHROOT_PATH}

I just added this to it (and a "\" behind the --root command) and it went
fine:

--split-length 0

> In fact, did you used --test because this option cannot run with splited
> transactions ? But it seems no according to your logs, unless you have
> used them before and silently ?

Nope.

>> Anyway, I changed slbd to use --split-length 0 and here's the result:
>>
>> http://eijk.homelinux.org/build/cooker/urpmi/i586/k3b-0.9-2mdk
>>
>> All packages install as expected --> the old behavior is back & my
>> problem seems fixed.
>>
>> Question remains: why aren't the packages installed properly without
>> setting this option?

> I have no idea, this is the first time I see such behaviour, the rpmdb
> is closed and reopened each time for a new transaction (as if there were
> multiple rpm invocation).
Yes.

> I'll try to reproduce here as I only use splited transaction when
> auto-selected (but it is not a full install of new packages, but a
> progressive cooker upgrade).

Perhaps try using a bare chroot environment and then installing
kdelibs-devel into it, as it is quite a large install.

regards,

Stefan

PS: is --root functionality planned for "urpme" ?