On Wed Jul 30 14:52 +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
> You're going to have to be more specific. Which auto-generated deps?
> library deps (which have been in place for a long time, was it 9.0?),
> devel deps (which seem to be ok now), perl deps (which we inherited from
> Redhat who had them for RH 9 I think) or the new epoch stuff (which
> actually seems to be causing more problems and is due to rpm 4.2)?
>
> The perl dep regex *must* be fixed, it should at least look for a
> trailing ";", but I don't see any other non-standard cooker problems.

It's mostly the perl deps (and maybe the devel deps) that have been the
problem for me (largely due to the braindead regexp); the heavier use of
dependencies on specific files is also something I'm not too keen on (if
only for aesthetic reasons).

To some extent, I'm not keen on the idea of automatic dependencies;
afaik, debian (to pick the most prominent distribution) seems to get by
fine on about 3 million platforms without an auto-deps system (the fact
that no package gets uploaded until it builds on all platforms may have
something to do with that...), and I think that making it easier for
packagers to offload the responsibility to create ideal dependencies to
something/someone else is a dangerous idea.  But that's just my $0.02.

--
Levi Ramsey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Take due notice and govern yourselves accordingly.
Currently playing: Rush - Power Windows - Marathon
Linux 2.4.21-3mdk
 12:09:00 up 3 days, 14:56,  7 users,  load average: 0.57, 1.04, 0.62