On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, kallador wrote:

> well at one time i found away to use certain winmodems
>
> i think it was called linmodem.net
> that or linmodems.net  but i dunno if there still doing the project though

limodems.org.

The problem with losemodems is that they have to rely on a driver which
translates the AT commands for them, and an even bigger problem is that
translation is proprietary (of course) AND not the same from one losemodem to
another.

Some losemodems don't even have a DSP, therefore it has to be emulated in
software too... Kludgy, to say the least. As long as we don't have the specs,
it's a nono, and even if we had them, it is soo kludgy that I wonder whether
the effort of writing a driver for them is worth it or not. Real modems still
have a bright future.

--
fg

"You can tune a filesystem but you can't tuna fish" (HP/UX' fsck manpage)