Adam Williamson wrote:
On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 02:59, Ron Stodden wrote:

Yes, I know this problem.   You can avoid rebooting by:

1.  Check that your swapfile is not full.   If it is, generate a much
bigger one.

My swapfile is 1.5GB. Not likely to be the problem.

Tip:  Use a console (Ctrl+Alt+F2), log in as root, and run top.
Swapfile stats are at the top.
This will then be there whenever you want it. whether KDE is running or not.
Don't run it from KDE, because of 2 below.

Yes, thanks, I knew that.
But the 1000 or so lurkers may not <g>, and should be grateful..
2.   When things slow down do Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and relog on.
This is quick and will give you a new KDE and current applications setup.
Particularly in this case a new Mozilla/Galeon, which in my case seems
to trigger the slowdown problem.

Not practical. Besides, I use GNOME. Can you check and see if the
problem is linked directly to network transfers, as it seems to be for
me ATM? Any type of heavy network transfer slows the system down.

No, heavy network transfer (eg d/l cooker at broadband 300Kbs for half an hour, say) has no detectable performance penalty on anything.     Processor is a 2.0GHz Pentium, memory 266MHz.
--
Ron. [Melbourne, Australia]
"If you keep a green bough in your heart, the singing bird will come"