On 08/28/2003 01:30:37 AM, Leon Brooks wrote:
I'd heard that bandwidth was pretty good in most of Canada.
Specifically
also that real DSL was available 17 miles from a
blink-and-ya-missed-it
town out in the boonies near Alaska. Sigh. Seven hundred kilobytes a
second. Sigh. (-: Currently sucking at 39kB/s, blowing at 3. :-)

This is not DSL... this is a 10 M/s LAN connected to the University.
I left it running for a while after the download and it went up to about 500 kb/s upload for about half and hour till I killed it.

I never got speeds like that on DSL, trust me. DSL here downloads at about 100Mb/s, cable a little faster, not much.

What was so surprising though, is that even using prozilla or similar, I've never saturated my bandwidth before. Bittorrent seems to be very efficient compared to ftp.

Ausitn