On Mon Sep 01, 2003 at 11:58:46AM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > Wow... that looks pretty neat.  Does this superkaramba thing work in gnome
> > too?
>
> ah..the price for running GNOME :-P
>
> On a more serious note, are you (=mdksoft) or are you not going to set up
> something like this by default? If the user has to search for packages to
> get security warnings than only security aware users will use it (and they
> probably checked mdksecure anyway). The messages need to appear on the
> screen of the newbie, unexperienced users, by default.

Well, let's put it this way.  We're working on 9.2 now, and I've been doing
the security since 6.1 (IIRC) and it's never been an issue before.  The
mailing list exists exactly for this kind of thing.  There are a lot of
sources to determine new updates:

1) launching rpmdrake and scanning for new updates
2) visiting mandrakesecure
3) visiting mandrakeclub
4) external sources such as linuxsecurity.org (I believe)
5) mailing lists: announce, bugtraq, full-disclosure, and two others
6) new RSS feed

I don't think it's urgent that we put something like this in there by
default.  Would it be nice?  Hell yes!  Do I think it's necessary?  Not
really.

Personally, I'd like to see a little applet that's like a green light and
polls the mirrors (or rss feed) and turns red if there's something new.
Something to develop/look into for a future version.  (We are in a freeze
after all).

> Now that I am complaining, why does urpmi.setup not have it's own button
> in drakconf (ok, it's a bit bugged, is that the reason?). It is such a
> waste to have all the nice functionality of urpmi lost to most non-CLI
> users.

This I can't tell you.  I don't use drakconf... call me an old-school
diehard (or insane).  =)

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/