On 09.04, Paul Dorman wrote:
> Hi all again!
>
> I am wondering how difficult it would be to add an audio system section to the
> Mandrake Control Center. It would:
>
> * Allow the user to elect OSS or ALSA as the default (configuring the correct
> module settings)

I would start in a lower level. Why is there an 'alsa' rc file ?
Isn't 'sound' supposed to do this ?

Currently sound detects what do you want testing for /proc/asound.
So it means that you already must have loaded some ALSA module to have
'sound' skip OSS and start ALSA.
It would be easier to have an /etc/sysconfig/sound with something
like
SOUND=ALSA|OSS
MODULE0=xxxx
MODULE1=....

ala sensors.

I suppose a GUI for that is a ton of work: once you have the card,
you must guess if it supports MIDI/sequencer, joystick, etc. to
let the user say if he wants them active or not.

Just ideas...

--
J.A. Magallon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      \                 Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es                         \           It's better when it's free