On 09/04/2003 07:43:50 PM, Buchan Milne wrote:
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Austin wrote:

> > * Auto start up of JACK.
>
> Nobody wants jack running all the time.

No, but it isn't nice for a user to start Ardour from the menu (without
starting a jackd), and be booted out. One slashdot user thought Ardour was
buggy/badly packaged because of this, and switched distributions ...

True. But it IS better than having jack running all the time. It's a resource hog. And it quits by itself if latency goes too high... then what are you going to do to restart it transparantly?

Can you not have the ardour menu entry run a script that checks if a jackd
is running (even via pgrep if necessary), and if not, tell the user they
need to run one?

I suppose... but what command line options are you going to use? There are so many. -R (realtime) or not? hw:0 or alsa default? What if the user wants to use hw:1, like I do? What sampling rate, 44100 or 48000? 24 or 16 bit? My soundcard requires 24 bit for recoring in full duplex, but requires 16 bit for recording in half-duplex.

(I can write one for you, if you will fix zenity for me ;-)).

Okay, it's a deal. Although I assumed that when people move my packages to main and start updating them unbeknownst to be, that I'm no longer responsible for keeping them functional. How accustomed we've come to free labour eh?

Austin
--
                       Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
            Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant