Matthew Campbell wrote:

> >Framehauser (or whatever is their real name, i just can't remember
> >germane names) has send agressives email to the author and asked him to
> >stop developp bladeenc. But the author does go on as his work is based
> >on an algorithm from ISO.
> >Until the situation calm down, we won't provide it.
>
> For the record, it's Fraunhofer.

German research institute which holds patents for players based on the
ISO code, thats why it's illegal to distribute complete source code if
it contains parts of ISO sources.

> Another MP3 encoder is LAME (http://www.sulaco.org/mp3/).  Actually
> it's a patch to the ISO reference implementation of an MP3 encoder.
> In light of the MP3 patent issue, it would probably be safest not to
> include the encoder itself in the distribution, but I wonder if there
> is an RPM of this encoder that is located in a country where the MP3
> patents don't apply.

LAME is not a patch to the ISO sources any more, they say that they
have replaced all ISO code and are a complete open source encoder.

LAME also has a much better sound quality than bladeenc and even
much better than Xing. (according to c't magazine, a very serious
german computer magazine)

There is also a Pentium/K6/Athlon optimized encoder called gogo
it's based on an older LAME release (ISO Patch), it's the fastest
high quality encoder I found yet.
(http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~shigeo/)

> Another option is to buy the Xing MP3 encoder for about $20 (US) if
> you're serious about MP3's.

Why use commercial software if the free one is better.

Jan