Ainsi parlait David Walser :
> Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> > Ainsi parlait David Walser :
> >>
> >> Well that's fine, but part of the point before was, the script was
> >> included with the package, so if the user changed their hostname later
> >> on, they could run the script again and have their config be right
> >> again.  Do the same with your perl script.
> >
> > All the script was doing was to replace "localhost.localdomain" by the
> > correct values in a config file, using two scripts, a shell one and a awk
> > one. It tooks me almost 10 minutes to understand it, whereas a single
> > one-liner in perl could do in one single place. Moreover, i don't see the
> > point of adding aditional code, meaning potential security and
> > maintainance issues, for such a trivial task, especially for what is
> > supposed to be a server. Either you write a complete configuration
> > wizard, and install it elsewhere in the filesystem, either you just takes
> > cares of it in post-install configuration step.
>
> Security and Maintainance issues?  That's absolutely ridiculous.
Wasting ten minutes to figure that something included was quite useless is an
issue. I hate this.

> Yes your line of code takes care of it in the post-install configuration
> step, but let me re-iterate, what if the user changes their hostname *after
> the package is installed.*  They will need to run that line of code again.
> Install it as a script like was done before.
Someone changing hist hostname will have more than imp to reconfigure IMHO.
Are you proposing we add two script to each of those applications just for
this ? Or that we add x others scripts to help clueless user to change x
others settings in imp configuration ?

My point remain the same: either you provide a full configuration wizard, you
document it as mdk-specific, and you install it elsewhere as under the
webroot. Or you just do minor post-install configuration.

BTW, this is a server, not a joe-user multimedia application. Admins are
supposed to be able to configure what they install.
--
The only perfect science is hindsight
                -- Murphy's Laws on Technology n°14