Buchan Milne wrote:
| But we should try not to piss everybody off ... we've already pissed off
| the freeloaders who don't like adware (and can't read),

Buchan, I think, that this issue with Mandrake being "adware" was
cleared already. If Mandrakesoft does what it announced (and only that),
I have no problem with it. Problem was the botched announcement allowing
spreading of rumours and urban legends. If somebody got "pissed off"
because of this and cannot read the correction published later, I am not
that sorry for him (yes, I know, I didn't initially read the updated
link posted by Vincent Danen too, I admit that).

Personally, I am not exactly enthused with the 3rd party ads being
there, but I will put up with them, if they are limited, as they said.

| now we're going
| to piss off those who have a dodgy CDROM drive who don't see the need to
| spend $30 on a new one when they could buy some other distro for the
| same price or use Redhat instead. And I suspect there may be other news
| that will piss even more off ...

If somebody is so cheap as not to spend $30 on new CD drive, well, I am
not sure whether Mandrake being on 700MB disks is his worst problem.

More legit issue are people with e.g. old notebooks, where the upgrade
is not an option, but I guess that these are rare and far between.

| Go look on MandrakeClub, the poll on "Do you run Mandrake on a server,
| desktop, or both". Last I looked, 50% answered "both".

I didn't say that it is not possible or that people do not do it (heck,
I am running three Mandrake servers myself - one 9.0 and two 9.1). Just
that it is not typical case for this distro. Moreover, people running
servers are usually more competent about finding a way how to get the
distro on the machine, even when there is bad/old CD drive (e.g. FTP,
NFS or install from a disk partition).

| Sure, but Mandrake is a nice distro to put on an ICS box, on a small
| firewall (if MNF still works) etc etc. Plus we have about 6 WMs in
| contrib aimed at lowe spec machines. I have a number of production
| servers with <64MB ram, some on pretty bad hardware (client can't afford
| proprietary software *or* new hardware).

That's true. But the same as above holds - if you are capable of setting
up a firewall or installing on an old machine, you are probably capable
of working around this issue (e.g. by doing network install). Yes, it is
annoying, but I would not consider it as a showstopper as most people
will not do it.

| Warly, is there any reason not to make a 4th (entirely optional) ISO of
| ~ 200MB?

That's a good question. I guess, it would be much better, than trying to
squeeze everything on just three disks. This would allow using just
650MB disks and render this discussion moot.

- --

Jan Ciger
VRlab EPFL Switzerland
GPG public key : http://www.keyserver.net/