On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 23:05, Warly wrote:
> Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Warly, is there any reason not to make a 4th (entirely optional) ISO of
> > ~ 200MB?
>
> We have this dilemma about the download edition:
>
> - download is a marketting product which should be better as possible
> to make users switch or use mandrake and then buy something.
>
> - download is a direct (gratis) competitor to our other products,
> powerpack, discovery...
>
> As a consequence download is a compromise. And it was decide that 3
> CDs is enough to market mandrakesoft skill, and 4 CD will make the
> download too dangerous for our product line. So another partial
> solution would be to have 700 MB instead of 650 MB.
>
> My personnal point of view:
>
> I think our future is in a club-like way of doing business, and that
> the best the download will be, the more people will give back, so publish
> as many CDs as needed (7 with contribs, DVD isos...).
>
> But this will need all the old-economy way of thinking reminiscents to
> disapear first.

Warly,

    Taking your argument into consideration.  Going with less on the
download version does tend to make the purchased version more appealing.
Make them larger or more in quantity.  The 650 disk one + 700mb disk 2
and 3 is a very nice compromise.  If you get up and running with disk 1
you can urpmi the rest if needed.  In fact I've one cdrom drive that for
unknown reasons wouldn't read the 700mb cd during install but would
after.  (????)

James