On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 09:48, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Please CC the original poster in on any replies.

Writing to USB CF things is slow, as the CF medium is slow for writes.
I get reasonably spiffy performance on reads - slow, but reasonable.

Are you getting SCSI timeouts in /var/log/{messages|syslog}?  The only
time I had treacle like performance was when it was getting lots of
timeouts and there were lots of SCSI resets happening.  Remember - this
stuff runs a SCSI emulation layer.

> I am seeing this pair of messages in /var/log/syslog:
> Sep 17 16:35:24 KmacG4 kernel: sr0: mmc-3 profile: 0h
> Sep 17 16:35:24 KmacG4 kernel: cdrom: open failed.

You just have a CD with no disc loaded and supermount or the CD audio
player thingy is looking..

> Here's the pertinent line from /etc/fstab (may wrap):
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto
> users,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
>
> (That line was automatically added by something, don't know what.)

The hotplug mechanism when you stuff the card in (in essence - it's a
bit more complex than that however).

> Anyone have any ideas on why this reader is behaving so sluggishly in
> Linux?  (Works just fine on Mac OS.)

As an owner of a 6-in-1 reader that is also "supported" by Linux, my
only issues with them are:

(1) SCSI LUNs are not all probed by default (so you only get the CF
slot)

(2) Some kernels from MDK have serious usb-storage <-> SCSI issues,
usually timeouts resulting in either a hard crash (on SMP systems) or
very sluggish performance.

(3) I have to remove usb-storage when I plug things in the second time
to get the hotplug mechanisms to wake up and do something.  When I get
some spare mSecs, I'll try to fix this one!

Cheers
/Kevin
--
Kevin J. Maciunas              Net: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Computer Science      Ph : +61 8 8303 5845