Hmmm... I'm not sure what to tell you.  I've been using logitech
trackman marble w/ wheel on both my machines here at home without
problem.  I do include the imwheelrc file in the $user directory because
that's the way it was originally intended to be used.  I don't know if
that's changed, but why not try it?
I also believe that all the logitech wheel mice use the same protocol at
this point, so yours should work.
I'm currently using XFree 4.0, but I've also used 3.3.6 - I'm using MDK
7.1 final, but it also worked for RedHat and MDK 7.0.  At first I was
thinking that maybe it was gnome that was giving you the problem, but I
know that it definitly works with kde (which you've said doesn't work at
all for you).  I would try adding the imwheelrc file and see what
happens.

I hope that something has helped here; but since this isn't the support
list, I'll just say "good luck".
Mike

--
Mike & Tracy Holt