Here's my 2 cents

On Sunday 28 September 2003 04:19, Warly wrote:

> It may be a good idea, before cooker opens again, to take these days to
> have some brainstorm.
>
> May you give your opinion on :
>
> - What was wrong in 9.2 development process?

I'd really like to see some of the design decisions that are made communicated
so that as beta testing is going on, it is easier to tell if something is a
feature or a bug.  Many times, a design change has been made and implemented,
only to cause a lot of bug reports because it is different and maybe not
working properly ATM.  Examples include drakedm not listing installable dm's,
etc.

> - We though a bit late in the 9.2 developement process to split cooker ml,
we
> should do it now.

I like it.

> - What could we do to improve 9.3/10.0 development.

Use the commonly held definitions of beta and rc for labeling releases.  Too
often, rc's are still full of major bugs, including with the installer, that
most reasonable people think should be gone by the time you start using the
term rc.  I know that rc in Mandrakespeak means feature freeze, but to most
testers, rc means release candidate (as in "this one may be released as
final").  It would be much easier for MandrakeSoft to change its use of
terminology, than to continue and try and argue over what the term means with
a frustrated user.

> - What should we do to improve the Wiki.

Develop a styleguide and give it some polish (including artwork) so it looks
very official.  The RadHat project site is a good example of the difference
IMO.

> - Should we have cooker snapshot ISOs?

Yes, IMO, feature freeze should occur sooner, so a snapshot release would make
it easier to start testing sooner.

> - What could we do, as a community, to increase the acceptance of
mandrakelinux?

Improve your communications as a company and do more of it.  Businesses want
to do business with successful business, so to be taken seriously in the
business data center, you have to have serious and polished communications.

> - How to have more contributors?

Make it easier to contribute.  A list of stuff needed to be done on the wiki
would be nice.  I would find it much easier to volunteer if I knew what
needed to get done.

> And anything related to the mandrakelinux distro.
Club has great potential for the only method of revenue required by
MandrakeSoft.  I really think you need to figure out a way to offer a service
like Texstar does.  Keeping the current release current (I mean in terms of
features like new version of KDE, not security) for members is probably the
most valuable thing you could offer, and would be something people would pay
for.  But integrating the packaging into official MandrakeSoft QA is
obviously required, and expensive.

You've also got to find a way though to tame the negativity that breeds there.
It just seems that members are waiting around to be offended by something
that you do.  Don't offer iso's to members, people get mad, offer them but
through bittorrent, people get mad.  I know you can't please everyone, but
the flaming is out of hand IMO.

--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx