--- illogic-al <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So you suggest sticking a screenshot in the rpm?
> Further down you say certain people have no business
> installing an OS.
> Well by extension of that logic they wouldn't have
> gotten to the installation
> point so this doesn't need to be worried about. I
> think you should install
> what you think you'll need the subgroups mandrake
> has are perfect for this,
> no screenshots necessary.

No, you don't understand. What I'm saying is that you
have:
- people that just _use_ computers
- people that _administer_ computers for their friends
or professionally
The problem is, most of the second group now uses
Windows (I think that group nr. 1 doesn't care about
the OS and probably wouldn't even notice the
difference).

> >  - Program installation pops-up during OS install
[...]
> That's a typical windows user. mdklinux is not
> windows and users installing
> linux know that (at least most of them do).

It's the argument of "never change anything, make
people learn our ways instead".
I believe that separating tasks and not putting
anything in the installation that isn't absolutely
necessary makes a system easier to understand.

> don't think we cater to
> windows users. I think we cater to users _coming
> from windows_ who a looking
> for something
> 1. different and
> 2. reliable

But we can also learn some good things from Microsoft,
no?

> >  - It presumes that users are too stupid to
> understand
> > the concept of a "software program"
> It's brilliant because it solves the problem you
> noted above about cryptic
> names. Who cares what the name is if you click on
> the internet group and when
> you boot see that you already have browsers, mail
and IM clients (in
> respective menu entries) installed.

Please tell me, do you know anyone that doesn't have
an Internet connection? So why not make the Internet
checkbox always selected then? And do you know anyone
that never in his life needed a word processor? Anyone
that never played a media file? Not to mention that a
Linux box is useless without gcc.... and so on. So
basically, why don't we just scrap the group selection
screen and just install the whole 3 CDs?

This goes to prove that the present way is
meaningless. Not to you because you're used to either
install everything or go directly to detailed package
selection. You're not a newbie.

> > How else do you explain the enormous popularity of
> > sites such as Download.com or Tucows?
> because they are central repositories. "your one
stop shop for all your
> software needs" we have those to, they're called
mirrors :) and then of
> course, sourceforge and freshmeat for those who must
have it now.

I'm not talking about the concept, I'm talking about
the interface. People obviously use it and obviously
can understand it. So why not copy?

> you've got to be kidding me. you don't know if at
least you'll be using
> Internet or Office or Games or Desktop when you
install?

No. I'll use all of these, but not all office packages
(just one), not all games (just a few), not all net
apps (just one browser, one e-mail client)...
blahblah. You get my point.

> And what's really hidden in madrake choices? Some
devel packages,
> compilers,
> games (ok these should be more accesible since
people usually want
> these),
> sysadmin stuff like traceroute. The people who use
these w/ the
> exception of
games will have no trouble going into all packages to
> find them

Ok, I'll go top-down through packages and name those
that are full blown GUI applications and are not
listed in Mandrake Choices. Note that I've installed
all of the "groups", so there is a relatively small
amount of stuff that isn't installed:
- alsamixergui
- arpwatch
- avifile-player
- bumprace
- chromium-setup
- circuslinux
- eog
- ethereal
- fbtv
And so on. There is a lot more that I have installed
so they aren't listed. I really don't have time to
look through all of them, but I know I've given up
using Mandrake choices because it happens to often
that I can't find what I'm looking for.

> So in essence you want there to be an "Idiot Mode"?
I thought that
> that's what
> the "Mandrake Choices" menu was (which i use)

No. While hiding the above, Mdk Choices lists stuff
like (I'm going through packages from top-down):
- ami - this should be installed by keyboarddrake
- chinput - same
- drakconf - what's the point for uninstalling the
control panel? that would quickly render the OS
unusable to newbies
- fonts, fonts - should be installed by fontdrake
- galaxy - should be installed by a theme manager
- gnome-pim-conduits - a plugin to gnome-pim
- gurpmi - see drakconf
- kinput - see ami
- linneighborhood - ok
- mountloop - ok
- nmap-frontend - ok
- rpmdrake - see drakconf
- rxvt - ok
- rxvt-CJK - a plugin for rxvt
- taipeifonts - see fonts
- the rest of Gnome workstation - see ami
Only the packages marked with ok would stay.

As you can see, of the present ~1000 packages, I would
leave visible not more than 50. Some of them would
enable additional 100 or so to be installed as options
(plugins). The rest would be hidden. That's IMO much
simpler and more intuitive then having 10 "package
groups".

> i hate pop ups. doing this for every package with a
> plugin: xmms, gaim, licq
> xchat would become highly annoying at install time

Like you install them three times a day.

> > pop-ups (i.e. Kooka now support both gocr and
ocrad,
> > so a pop-up should appear with two appropriately
named
> > checkboxes)
> but who knows what the diff between gocr and ocrad >
is?
> I don't.

I have a friend that calls me every time any wierd
pop-up appears on his Windows. But he is into graphics
and he knows the difference between I.R.I.S and Klara
OCR.

Thats just it - they are the two programs for OCR :)
Tell me what's the diff between Konqueror and Mozilla,
but please no personal opinions! See? ;)

> why the proper capitalization and spacing does
anyone here except
> english
> professors really care? :p

True, but having everything in lower case and no
spaces looks a bit dull, don't you think? :)

> > but have very similar
> > appearance with the same categories, buttons, etc.
> > Also, in Package Removal checking a package will
> > uninstall it, but in Package Installation you need
> > UNcheck a package to uninstall it!?
> eh? no you do, it's check to install and uninstall

Read it again.