On Wednesday 08 October 2003 07:27 pm, Vedran Ljubovic wrote:
> It's the argument of "never change anything, make
> people learn our ways instead".

If our way is better :-)

> I believe that separating tasks and not putting
> anything in the installation that isn't absolutely
> necessary makes a system easier to understand.

And impossible to learn from.

I think you are talking about creating a distribution that is much like
Lindows or Lycoris.  Put the disk in, click a few buttons and reboot.  I
think Mandrake is much more than this and needs some of the added complexity
to keep the power users around.  No offense, but there already is a
distribution (several) like this, why do we want to create another one?

When I install a box, I want the install to be done on reboot, so the package
selection and network configuration and all the other "complexities" in the
installer are most welcome here.  I don't want it to be like Windows where I
have to spend an hour or four on configuration and software/driver
installation after the OS install is done.

When I install a server, I don't want all the desktop crap installed.  Under
your scenario, there is no mdk server.

BTW, I like your interface, I think the layout is quite nice, but I don't
think qt is going to be an option since all the mdk tools are built on gtk.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx