Another 9.2 showstopper!

Two days in, the use of 9.2 was totally stopped by a 100% full root directory, a situation which is essentially unrecoverable for all but super-experts.

/ is a 5GB partition which returned 7.2 GB to du -s / (probably due to the inclusion of /proc).

Investigation of this partition from another 9.1 partition showed this to be caused by 103,900 files of the form /root/<a word>.nnnnn having beeen created by root in the /root directory, all of which were of zero length except two. The reserved-to-root space for recovery operations in / was also all consumed.

I used 9.1 KDE from a booted 9.1 LM partition to delete them all from the 9.2 mounted partition. They were all deleted, but left KDE in a hung condition, which had to be killed with the read target icon.

This condition also occurred from time to time in 9.1 but I found it undiagnosable, since whatever was reserving copious wads of space on / left no file directory entries, hidden or otherwise.

--
Ron. [Melbourne, Australia]
"If you keep a green bough in your heart, the singing bird will come"