> each time i need to use one of the above i am confused again when too
> use  what. I think this info is not in rpm howto yet, i would add it, if
> i  didn't feel unsure about what is best (I use things like described
> below,  but i might be wrong). I see Conflicts and provides are in the
> wiki, but  Obsoletes is not (for that matter, don't see prereqs either).
>
> Perhaps someone can give a thorough explanation and i will add it to
> wiki?  Or someone who does know can add it, whatever.
>
> Perhaps it should be case described, like:
> - new package has function of another old package as well (I assume this
>  obsoletes other old package).

Obsoletes also means installing the Obsoleting package will remote the
Obsolete package

> But should it provide old package as
> well?

Yes, since something may have depended on the old package. BTW, rpmlint
will compain if you don't provide an obsoletes.

> - new package does not work anymore with another old package (conflicts)
>
> - provides is only used to set aliasses for the name

Mostly (besides the Obsoletes case).

Next rpm issue that needs clarification is alternatives (they are
explained briefly, but nothing is said about what you need to do when
introducing obsoletes for new binaries - the trap I fell into).

Regards,
Buchan