Le Dimanche 19 Octobre 2003 04:26, Brook Humphrey a écrit :
> Ok I need to say this. I always get really cruddy torrent speed and
> everybody says punch a hole in you firewall which I have not and will not
> do. Torrent works fine on my end without messing with the firewall. However
> i always get speeds of like 6k and below for about the first week. Now
> after a few days I'm getting it at like 50k a second and will have the last
> 50% downloaded in just about 6 hours. That is compared to about 4 or 5 days
> to get the first 50%. I have not changed any config options at all. The
> outgoing I have not caped and it has been consistent around 8k or so for
> the last week even though i was not really getting anything in at all.
>
> Thanks to all of you leaving your torrents turned on.

I had the same problem with a decreasing dowloload speed rate. To solve it,
open your firewall ! Why ? I'll try to explain.

First, use download/bittorrent-shadowsclient-5.8.4-1mdk.noarch.rpm
from http://rpms.mandrakeclub.com/rpms/MandrakeClub/test/9.1/i586/BByName.html
It replace the old bitttorrent and shows the torrent with a click on
"Advanced". Don't hesitate to use it.

When starting a download, bittorrent opens ~20 links which can upload or
download few k/s (often 2 or 4ks). The sum of them can reach your maximum
bandwith. Each link uses a different port. If you open the window "Advanced",
you can see in the third column LocalRemote that all the links are "L" like
local.
This is because they was initiated locally. The firewall (or shorewall)
accepts links of any port initiated locally.
Few time later, the column shows "L" and "R" links. The R links are Remote
links, initiated from outside. If the firewall is not opened for ports
6881..6999, never appears.

With hours, the number of  "L" decreases and number of "R" increases.
Now, only upload works at 13k/s (download is finished for 48h) and I have
38 peers : 34 R and 4 L.

If you don't open your firewall, you can understand why the DL rate is low!

How-to open the port ?

Edit  /etc/shorewall/rules  and add at the end
ACCEPT  net     fw      tcp     6881:6999

# shorewall restart

I hope it helps...
--
Pierre Jarillon - http://pjarillon.free.fr/