On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 20:57, Han Boetes wrote:
> David Kobler wrote:
> > Can't we just set a simple standard to TEST YOUR PACKAGES before uploading
>         ^^
> > them. It seems that simple things are constantly ignored by those who
> > maintain the cooker RPMS. How hard would it be to test your rpms on a
> > recently installed cooker box before uploading them?
>
> Show us the code :)
> Maintain a few rpms yourself and your talk a lot different.

Hmmm, I'd bet all (most of) the contrib rpms are at least installed and
run. I can't remember the last time fluxbox never started at all ;)

> > This would allow people to test cooker for system specific bugs instead of
> > distribution specific bugs that exist because people do not do BASIC testing.
>
> Nope, you guys are our test subjects. Our labrats. :)
>
> This is the deal. We make packages and you make decent bugreports or you learn
> to live with the fact cooker is broken.

This is somehow the deal, but the point is valid. There is no way to
find a bug if the program cannot be started at all on any platform.

<insert favorite rant about kde maintenance, see cooker history>. It's
too bad it's becoming accepted. Usually, when something in a project is
broken, at least a few people know why, and it is a conscious decision.
Incidents are always welcome, but cooker users just hate routine.

Simple test cases, a minimal test plan and a few release procedures
could be automated and should not be so much of a burden once they are
established. It's called investment, and I thought that was what a
commercial company had to do.

Developing up-to-date kde apps with mdk is just too hard and this is
disappointing. I am now learning how to use other libs to avoid kde as
much as I can. Not a good way to get more decent bug reports, is it?

Note: These are just 2¢ thoughts. I am only sad to see that nothing
changes despite years and years of disappointment.
--
Quel Qun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>