On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 20:56, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> Short answer - mount with
>       noatime,nodiratime
>
> this should give you the same level of regression as on CD-ROM. It is as much
> as can be done currently

First of all thanks for the detailed explanation!

I've added noatime,nodiratime to fstab entry. First thing I noticed
while copying is the CPU usage which now went down to nearly 0% percent.
Transfer rate went up from 24KB/sec to 107KB/sec.
This equals a regression of 85 percent.
At least a speedup by factor 4. Not as good as cdrom performance, but
hey, better than nothing. :-)

--
Oliver

Win98 error 003: Illegal ASM instruction. If your modem worked properly,
the FBI would have been called.