Hello,

I don't know what is going on but I keep getting very serious system lockups. I
thought Window$ 98 was bad, but at the moment Linux goes down about once an
hour. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to this. I've removed hardware,
stopped various boot daemons. The most common thing I can come up with is that
the PC has been idle for a while, but even this does not hold 100%. The period
if being idle appears not to matter ! If I leave the PC inactive it appears to
just hang.

Some observations :

It makes no difference if I am I X or not.

One time when it happened just after boot (so I was not in X) I was able to
insert / remove PCMCIA card for about a minute before the system locked. During
this period neither the mouse or the keyboard were working.

This is a deep seated lockup. I have to remove the power and remove the battery
(oh yes, I use a laptop). If the power switch works at all it will fail to
restart again.

It is possible that I have used one too many cooker files. I will try an
'update' to 7.1, but this probably will not have much effect since most of the
'vital' files are now newer than 7.1 !

I don't know what you guys can do to help, but has any one else experienced
this kind of problem ? Does anyone know what in Linux could cause such a deep
seated crash ?

I raised a similar issue some time back. When trying to suspend to disk while
in X exactly the same thing happens. Could this have anything to do with it ?

Getting desparate
Owen