Francis Galiegue wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Don  Head wrote:
>
> > Any posiblity of sticking in a symlink for
> > resolv.conf in the man-pages RPM?  I spent quite
> > a few minutes figuring out that "man resolver"
> > needs to be used rather than "man resolv.conf".
> >
> > A simple "ln -s /usr/man/man5/resolver.5.bz2
> > /usr/man/man5/resolv.conf.5.bz2" would be
> > appreciated.
> >

> Huh, the resolver manpage is not about the format of resolv.conf file at all...
>
> As there is no relationship between this manpage and the resolv.conf file, I'm
> against that symlink (which should be a link anyway, because they're in the
> same directory). And moreover, as this manpage describes the resolver API, it
> should be in section 3 IMHO.

Did you try "man resolver"? If so, you would have discovered that it is
specific to the format of /etc/resolv.conf and that Don was correct:

RESOLVER(5)               System Programmer's Manual
RESOLVER(5)

NAME
     resolver - resolver configuration file

SYNOPSIS
     /etc/resolv.conf

DESCRIPTION
     The resolver is a set of routines in the C library (resolve(3))
that
     provide access to the Internet Domain Name System.  The resolver
configu­
     ration file contains information that is read by the resolver
routines
     the first time they are invoked by a process....