David Walluck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 25 Jul 2000, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
>
> > David Walluck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > PS : please quote your answer the right way, e.g. put answers *after*
> > questions..
>
> Are you talking about where I put my reply? It normally comes after the
> section I am talking about, but if I just hit "Reply" and it's a general
> response it will go at the top, with the initial message at the
> bottom so that the reader need not scroll through pages of useless
> text just to see it.

No, if it's a general reply you should remove everything (the good
version) (because every good mailer as a thread option that enables the
look of the original message), or leave everything and reply at the bottom
(because when I want to read the original message, with your solution I
would have to first scroll down, read, then scroll up, read the answer;
opposite would save one scroll and would be far more logical in the sense
of presenting first the question, second the answer)

> And if you read any document on netiquette, it will tell you to trim the
> message reply down to only the relavant sections you are replying to, in
> order to save space, reading time, and above all, precious bandwidth. If

Of course. That's what everyone should try to do; I certainly try to do
so, and warmly encourages people who find that time-consuming to switch to
Gnus news and mail reader and use the various available shortcuts (C-c
C-e ; C-c C-z ; C-c C-v) For some help to switch to gnus please consult my
mini howto:

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/html/howtos/howto-adopt-gnus.html

(Please, pine/mutt/etc lovers, use quick and efficient arguments if you
really feel this is the place for a mailreader flame) (my point is just to
propose ONE tool to ease the efficiency and quality of your emails).

> you were to go through my previous posts to this list, you would see that
> I almost *always* do this, unless I'm feeling particularly lazy that day,

Yes. It's no personal -- it's just me, being fed up with all the people
doing that, so I took the decision to systematically include a reminder,
as from today.

> and in my defense, very few people on this list have done it as regularly
> as I have, because it's easier to just ignore netiquette and leave the
> whole reply in there.

Yes, this is a very selfish attitude that saves 10 seconds for the author
of the mail, and costs 200 x 30 seconds to the rest.

> This is just how it is done, it's not like I got on the Internet yesterday
> :) If you are talking about the FAQ I appogize, but I believe the FAQ has
> the questions and responses in the correct order.

What FAQ ?

--
Guillaume Cottenceau -- Distribution Developer for MandrakeSoft
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/